Re: key bounce problem

Stacey,

Check the following email message for some history:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-04/msg00107.html

Duncan Cragg seems to have reported success using 'xset r off', but you may want to read the rest of that thread for clarification. Hmm... from my own comments I think I mentioned that XF86MISC isn't compiled in, so it wouldn't seem that 'xset r off' could actually do anything...

I had asked for some help from our guru, Alan Hourihane, but I don't remember if he had any insight to offer me. I didn't notice a reply to his message in the thread, but this was during the end of the semester for me so I may have been so busy that I didn't notice his response.

Stacey --- If you weren't running (exactly) 'xset r off', could you try restoring your Windows keyboard setting and running that command? Let us know the results. I don't expect it to work, or I suspect that you have already tried (you did mention xset r), but give it a shot if you haven't tried it.

Any else got some ideas here?

Harold

Stacey Campbell wrote:

I've been experiencing a fairly annoying key bounce problem with almost
any X client that takes keyboard input running against XWin on my XP
box.  The problem rears its ugly head the most when running xterm.
I searched the archive for this list for "xterm", "debounce", "keyboard",
etc but couldn't find a message with a solution.

The keyboard code for XWin appears to ignore xset's "r" option, likewise
it appears to ignore XKEYBOARD args such as -ar1 as detailed on the
Xserver man page.  The keyboard code doesn't ignore XP's keyboard
control settings however.  I modified Control Panel->Keyboard->Repeat Delay
to be one notch slower and the keyboard bounce problems magically went
away.  This fix obviously modifies the behavior of the keyboard for every
Windows app, but since I spend 99% of the time inside XFree86 I'm
quite happy with it. :-)

I don't know if this fix applies to anything other than XP, but I
thought I should subscribe to this list and get this message into the
archive in case someone else runs into the same problem down the road.

Stacey
http://www.pigtailproductions.com/stacey/