Re: question about multiwindow mode and application icons

Earle,

Actually, I found a problem with the interaction between MultiWindow mode and Clipboard (-clipboard) that seems to have something to do with this patch.

I have been doing the following:

1) Launch XWin.exe -multiwindow -clipboard

2) Launch a local copy of xfig. Observe that the title bar is being changed.

3) Close local xfig.

4) ssh to remote Debian Linux host.

5) Open xfig and/or mozilla on Linux host.

6) Observe that setting the title bar sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

7) When setting the title bar does not work, it is basically because the MultiWindow Window Manager thread has exited.

Checking /tmp/XWin.log indicates that winClipboardErrorHandler got called twice, which shouldn't happen because all paths through winClipboardErrorHandler lead to pthread_exit (NULL). Thus, either pthread_exit (NULL) is not killing the calling thread (not your fault) as per the specification of what it is supposed to do, or somehow the MultiWindow window manager is calling winClipboardErrorHandler. In any case, the window manager is being killed.

The interesting thing here is that running -multiwindow does not encounter the problem, nor does running -clipboard. Only together do they cause this error. This may have been a problem with the code before you started, but it may be related to your code. For now I have removed the calls to pthread_exit () from winClipboardErrorHandler, as I really see no reason that we should bail out there when we have a problem. This may have been a simple coding oversight on my part.

Let me know what you think.

Harold

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Earle,

In winmultiwindowwindow.c - WM_COMMAND, WM_SYSCOMMAND, and WM_INITMENU - These were all ending with a break. I changed them to end with a return 0, except when WM_SYSCOMMAND doesn't actually process anything. I also changed WM_COMMAND to WM_INIT_SYS_MENU and I changed the menu identifier to ID_APP_ALWAYS_ON_TOP, which is stored in resource.h. It was, in my opinion, a misuse of WM_COMMAND and WM_USER the way that it was initializing. Now it should be clear what is happening.

Other than that, looks good.

Thanks for contributing,

Harold

Howdy again