Re: XWin dying immediately on XP Pro SP1 - diagnostics techniques?

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2003, Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:
>
>> 'XWin.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to
>> start because cygz.dll was not found'
>>
>> Sure enough, The Cygwin installer had not installed zlib.  I grabbed
>> that, installed it, and it works just fine now, including logging to
>> /tmp/XWin.log.
>
> Alex,
>
> AFAICS, XFree86-xserv requires XFree86-base, which in turn requires
> zlib. Did zlib not get selected in setup (which would indicate a bug in
> setup's dependence mechanism), or did you explicitly unselect it when
> installing? Igor

Because of how I "acquired" the files, I am almost positive that I screwed
this up myself.  I'm on dialup and  my connection is broken on the ISP
side every 4 hours automatically, so I had to mirror a site on my own and
then did setup from the local files.  There may be a minor glitch in setup
somewhere - I haven't tried to figure out the details of how it works
yet - but it was almost certainly precipitated by my download technique.

> P.S. It's good to know about turning off application popups.  Is that
> done by some conventional means, or can you only do it using an XP
> system call?

Yeah - I use it for misbehaved apps that only understand Session 0 on
Terminal Services... Here's the registry key for this; it works on 2000,
XP, and presumably Server 2003 - I don't know about any other OS versions:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
Value Name: ErrorMode
Data Type: REG_DWORD)
Known Values:
0 - All errors appear in popups (this is the default setting).
1 - System errors logged, application errors in popups
2 - System and application errors logged, no popups.