Re: XWin dying immediately on XP Pro SP1 - diagnostics techniques?

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Alex K. Angelopoulos wrote:

> 'XWin.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to
> start because cygz.dll was not found'
>
> Sure enough, The Cygwin installer had not installed zlib.  I grabbed that,
> installed it, and it works just fine now, including logging to
> /tmp/XWin.log.

Alex,

AFAICS, XFree86-xserv requires XFree86-base, which in turn requires zlib.
Did zlib not get selected in setup (which would indicate a bug in setup's
dependence mechanism), or did you explicitly unselect it when installing?
	Igor
P.S. It's good to know about turning off application popups.  Is that done
by some conventional means, or can you only do it using an XP system call?

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II