Re: webwasher and xfree

Benny,

Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
Hi Harold, Kai,

Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> writes:

Now, here is a tip about how programs like webwasher work: they
intercept *every* TCP/IP packet on your system, usually by replacing
the Windows network layer with their own code.

Actually in principle Webwasher doesn't do that.  At least the version
that I am using here (free-as-in-beer, non-commercial license) is just
an application level local proxy for the HTTP and HTTPS protocols.
It's not a VPN, but just a regular application.  The only mischief it
does is to re-configure IE's proxy configuration.

Unfortunately, we can never know for sure since Webwasher isn't open source. They may not be replacing DLLs, but they may also not be acting strictly as a standard server application. That is, they may be trying to hook into calls into the winsock layer rather than opening port 8080 and waiting for connects. There are many ways that web filtering could be implemented, and I suspect from Kai's information that they chose a poor way of implementing it (from a performance standpoint).

I should note that I do not use dial-up though, so there may be some
interaction between WebWasher and the IP stack in that area.

Yes, they have many versions available and Kai did not say which version he was using.