Re: Wanted X, got Perl - operator error or prequisiste

Matt,

You did almost enough research.

You are correct that none of the XFree86 packages depends directory or indirectly upon Perl. The little bit of extra research that I did for you (other than looking at my setup.hint files again) was to run a clean instance of setup.exe (after renaming c:\cygiwn to c:\cygwin_foo), select all of the XFree86 packages, then note that perl has still not been selected. Thus, no XFree86 packages causes perl to be selected.

Here is what happened (even if you don't remember it):

1) You saw package foo (say, autoconf)

2) You thought, ``I might like to have foo''

3) You selected foo, which depends upon perl and caused perl to be selected

4) You thought, ``Nah, I will never use foo''

5) You unselected foo, which left all of its dependencies (including perl) selected

6) You got perl ;)

Step 5 is crucial there: setup.exe does not unselect dependencies when you remove an item from the list of packages to install. Think about it, how would we track whether a user selected the package or if it was selected by dependency? Why spend the extra effort tracking such things when this is the first time I have seen someone ask about this in the 2 or 3 years that I have been working with Cygwin/XFree86?

You are correct that XFree86 does not depend upon Perl... you just got unlucky.

The *.pl scripts in XFree86 mean nothing --- they are not needed for the normal operation of the X Server.

I hope that clears things up,

Harold