Re: XWin design suggestion

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
Wouldnt this be better if it accepts at least 2 ways to configure this
?
(registry/Windows file/Cygwin file)

After all XWin can check if its running on Cygwin or not.

Better? Sure.

Doable? Absolutely.

Unfortunately, this sort of bloat is what prevents people from ever getting started on these tasks. Such a design is so daunting that no one dares start it for fear of getting swallowed alive.

So, the progression will go something like this:

1) Use the registry for some initial preference settings.

2) When people bitch, tell them to submit a patch :)

I think we have figured out some nice options, but it is time to get coding and Alexander is right: the registry is damn simple for such trivial stuff. I am starting there, but I think this will eventually be extended to support config files of multiple types.

Harold

If XWin.exe is a Cygwin port then config and state should stay as
/etc
and $HOME files, preferably text files.

If however, XWin.exe is to become a "native" Windows application then
it should indeed use the registry. (And any discussion of persistent
state stored under /etc or $HOME becomes moot, since they don't exist
outside of the Cygwin/POSIX layer.)

===== Sylvain Petreolle (spetreolle at users dot sourceforge dot net) ICQ #170597259 No more War !

For the Law of Oil and Fire, Im an European that lives in France.
For all my Brothers and friends, Im a human living on Earth.