Re: "no buffer space available" on Win2K

All,
I am running xfree/cygwin on 2 machines:
a win98 machine which has a corporate vpn client installed and a win2k machine without the vpn. I have installed winpoet (pppoe) dsoftware on both. the 2k machine is a work machine attached to the local LAN, the 98 machine is a home machine on which I use xfree to telecommute. I have not had any problems using xfree on either of them, although there seems to be some kind of memory problem ahich causes XWin to crash a few times a day(-multiwindow -clibboard) This crashing seems to be more common with the server test 81 version released yesterday, but I have had no problems co-existing with the VPN. I might also add that my ISP is fixed wireless, so in concert with the VPN I am NOT able to FTP large files from home to work, but the xfree installation, other than being a little slow (due to the VPN being slow + network traffic) is fine. I also have Exceed 6.2 loaded on both machines, so that doesn't seem to have an effect.
Hope this helps.
-Pete

Karl Waclawek wrote:
Karl,

Right, but has the VPN software *ever* been installed on your Windows machine at work?

No, as I am the one who installed everything except for the SMS and
the Terminal Services client. However, I cannot exclude with 100%
certainty that my TCP/IP implementation is still virgin, since
I have installed/uninstalled quite a number of software components.
OTH, I do not log in as Administrator, as a rule, so it is not *that*
easy for me to mess it up.

Can you try another Windows machine at work and see if it gets the same problem? Such a test would help to uncover anything specific to your general computer configuration at work (such as some sort of software installed on all of them, etc.).

I was thinking of that myself - just have to find a willing
developer colleague or a free machine. I do have the option
to use one of the Exceed licenses we have, but I thought I try
it with OpenSource first, as I am involved with it myself.

As for help --- They would at least want you to be running debug versions of some Cygwin components. Ideally you would do some tracking down to try to figure out an exact sequence of events that reproduces the problem in a short amount of time.

Sounds reasonable - mostly a matter of finding the time.

Karl

-- Peter W. Colovas RNC Traffic Processing Department cPSB Development Lucent Technologies Naperville, IL +1 630 224-2181