Re: two new -multiwindow bugs

I have also experience the repeated keystroke bug.

As for the window title bug, it was possible to give a new xterm a different title under XWin-4.2.0-20. If you run xterm -T "my title" -e bash, the xterm will have "my title" as the title. Versions after XWin-4.2.0-20 don't seem to allow this anymore.

Raymond

Jack Tanner wrote:

(By "new", I mean not discussed here before, not "new" as in only present in the most recent release.)

Thank you for your time and effort, Kensuke, Harold, et. al.

I have two monitors, monitor 2 is physically left of monitor 1. XFree86-xserv 4.2.0-28.

0) the repeated keystrokes bug is still present in this release
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-03/msg00059.html

1) window positioning bug

# Xwin -rootless -multiplemonitors -clipboard
# xterm -geometry +34+5

The xterm is positioned in the upper left-hand corner of monitor 2.

# Xwin -multiwindow -multiplemonitors -clipboard
# xterm -geometry +34+5

The xterm is positioned in the upper left-hand corner of monitor 1.

Presumably, the xterm should get positioned on the same monitor regardless whether I use -rootless or -multiwindow.

2) window title bug

# Xwin -rootless -multiplemonitors -clipboard
# xterm -geometry +34+5
# TERM=xterm; export TERM
# xterm -e bash -i -c "ssh -X user at remote"

The xterm window gets a title like "user at remote:~". This is very pretty and very useful when you open a gazillion xterms, like I do. (The remote machine has an /etc/bashrc that sets up $PROMPT_COMMAND appropriately. For my stock RedHat 8 install, it's PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER} at ${HOSTNAME%% dot *}:${PWD/#$HOME/~}\007"'.)

# Xwin -multiwindow -multiplemonitors -clipboard
[snip. same xterm, TERM and ssh setup as above, but note -multiwindow, not -rootless Xwin invocation]

The xterm window gets the title "bash". Awful, boring title.

Best,
JT