Re: Error building glib-2.2.1 from source 8-(

You have to re-libtoolize using the latest libtool. I posted a patch (for 2.2.0) to the main cygwin list on Jan 03, 2003.

--Chuck

Chris Olive wrote:
I'm trying to build glib from source (from www.gtk.org FTP mirror), and I end up with the following error during make:

<OUTPUT>
make[2]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/xfer/glib-2.2.1/gobject'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall -o libgobject-2.0.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info 200:1:200 -export-dynamic -no-undefined gboxed.lo gclosure.lo genums.lo gobject.lo gparam.lo gparamspecs.lo gsignal.lo gsourceclosure.lo gtype.lo gtypemodule.lo gtypeplugin.lo gvalue.lo gvaluearray.lo gvaluetransform.lo gvaluetypes.lo ../glib/libglib-2.0.la -lintl

*** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive ../glib/libglib-2.0.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
libtool: link: warning: `/lib/libintl.la' seems to be moved
</OUTPUT>

I've tried ./configure --enable-shared=yes (it's 'yes' by default anyway), but this seems to have no effect. As to the libtool warning after the error, "'/lib/libintl.la' seems to be moved", this seems to be bogus since the file IS there.

My guess is that somehow libtool is not resolving libraries properly, but I'm not really at all familiar with how this all works under Cygwin (I know there are .a and .DLL mapping things going on, but that's about it.) My version of libtool is 1.4.3.

Any help getting over this hump would be appreciated. I loathe bothering people on lists unless I'm just out of options, which I feel I a (again after much research). I don't see any other options under ./configure for building glib-2.2.1 that present any other possibilities.

Even if there is no known solution, if someone could just help me decipher the above errors -- what it probably means -- I can go from there most likely.