Re[2]: Beginners questions.

Hello Fred,

  Thanks for the reply, it eased my mind a _lot_. I think I have
  a fairly workable install of Cygwin and Xfree on my machine.

  I grabbed the same xinitrc file you mentioned and then took a
  look at the startxwin.sh file. A few cuts and pastes in Ultra
  Edit, a funnily formatted save as command (I'm not used to
  saving as ".xinitrc" i.e. extension only in Windows or hidden
  file in Unix, on my Windows box) and both startxwin.bat and
  running startx from the command prompt work the same and pretty
  much the way I want. I'll have a look at the man page for
  startx fairly soon to see if I can get a non full screen window
  like the startxwin.sh does.

SFFM> I found that I had to run startx from /usr/X11R6/bin.
SFFM> Simply putting the directory into my path didn't work.

  Interesting you should mention that. I have absolutely no
  problem here on Win98 SE. Do you, like me, have the latest
  version of Cygwin1.dll?

  The next step will be getting KDE 2 to run here. Once I have
  that then I will feel more confident that I can get the
  programming project I'm working on started in a real
  programming environment instead of on paper. I want this
  program to be a go in both UNIX derived and Windows
  environments.

  I notice that you are with or in the Dept. of Electronics at
  Carleton. Interesting coincidence, I'm a C. Tech. in
  Electronics. Unemployed right now while I await an operation,
  but still a C. Tech. I don't know how you knew, but I'm glad
  you did. Thanks once again for the help and a belated "Happy
  New Year" of the sheep.

Best regards,
 Magus

- --
Tuesday, February 4, 2003, 1:34:26 AM, you wrote:

>> Subject: Beginners questions.
>> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:07:05 -0600
>> From: Magus <magus1011ca@yahoo.ca>

>> Hi All,
>>
>>   I think I've got Cygwin and XFree installed correctly on my
>>   Win98 SE box. I type "think" because I have no standard to go
>>   by. How can I tell when Cygwin is correctly installed? It
>>   currently runs and I can access info, man, sh, bc and most
>>   other good things that I know about.
>>
>>   I'm in the same position with the X window stuff. I have no
>>   idea what I'm supposed to see. Since there are at least three
>>   ways of starting X detailed in the FAQ/User Manual, I'd like to
>>   try and tell you folks what I see when I try them and then you
>>   can tell me if this is normal or not, OK?- --
>> Best regards,
>>  Magus

SFFM> Hey, Magus,

SFFM> I don't think there's a "normal" X window.  It depends
SFFM> on what's in your ~/.xinitrc.  I copied it from /etc/X11/xinit.
SFFM> This is one of the ways of starting up X, using the startx
SFFM> command.  I found that I had to run startx from /usr/X11R6/bin.
SFFM> Simply putting the directory into my path didn't work.

SFFM> In ~/.xinitrc, twm starts the window manqager.  You will see 3
SFFM> commands to start xterms, and 1 to start a clock.  That's
SFFM> what you should get on your desktop.   The first thing I did
SFFM> was replace all that stuff with stuff I normally start up on
SFFM> the sun boxes (I use twm instead of the sun desktop).  That
SFFM> varies from individual to individual.

SFFM> The capabilities of twm are in the man page, but it's kind of
SFFM> hard to read.  I would search for a tutorial on the web.  But
SFFM> a bit of experimenation reveals pretty all there is (it's a
SFFM> bare bones windows manager).  Most of the functionality
SFFM> can be seen in the popup menus, which show up when you
SFFM> click the mouse on the desktop, away from any windows.
SFFM> Some xterm options menus can be seen by pressing
SFFM> control-mouse-button in the xterm.

SFFM> The good thing about twm is that it's easier than other
SFFM> window managers to customize, since everything is in
SFFM> the man page.  It's not light reading, and requires
SFFM> experimentation, but probably way simpler than
SFFM> customizing, say, Sun's CDE.

SFFM> Good luck.  And hope it's an interesting experience,
SFFM> exploring the vagaries of X, though it's admittedly not
SFFM> always straightforward.

SFFM> Fred

SFFM> --
SFFM> Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
SFFM> Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics
SFFM> 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario
SFFM> Canada, K1S 5B6