Re: starting x apps

Thomas,

Take a look at the "run" utility that comes with XFree86 (as part of the
XFree86-startup-scripts package).  This doesn't mean the bug with "start
/b" in multiwindow mode shouldn't be fixed (if it is a bug), but it's a
better overall tool (and open source, too). :-D
	Igor

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, thomas graichen wrote:

> one more addition: this is not multiwindow specific - it only
> comes to view there, because with multiwindow one comes to the
> idea to simply start an xterm from an win menu or button ...
> just to make this clear

> thomas graichen <tgr@spoiled.org> wrote:
> > hello,
>
> > just played around a bit with the new multiwindow option (a great
> > thanks to all who made that possible) i noticed one thing:
>
> > i'm having an multiwindow-xserver running, having set the DISPLAY
> > and an extended PATH (by cygin/bin and cygwin/X11R6/bin) in my
> > w2k environment and can this way get for instance an xterm (or
> > any other x-app) to appear on the screen as multiwindow-window
> > by simply clicking at the executable in the explorer - the
> > strange thing is that i always also get another empty (looks
> > like an empty cygwin bash or cmd) window for each app ... the same
> > applies if i want to start for example an xterm from a batch-file
> > using
>
> >   start /B xterm.exe -some-options
>
> > as soon as i start the .bat from the explorer or a menu or
> > something like that i get that extra empty window (i.e. the
> > /B flag of "start" seems to be ignored) - if i call the same
> > .bat from within a cygwin bash window or an cmd window
> > everythings works as expected: with /B no extra window - without
> > an extra window
>
> > am i doing something wrong here? is there any trick to simply
> > get a button somwhere which gives me on a click an multiwindow
> > xterm (and nothing else :o)?
>
> > a lot of thanks in advance

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune