Re: 4.3.0 status update

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Once I make an official release of the multi-monitor patch I can submit both the multi-window and multi-monitor patches.

Is the multi-window feature ready for an official release? Esp. the WM functions?
Nope. It is still experimental. But it doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect when you aren't using it, so why not include it?

There were also some cross-compiling build warnings that I had written in about, but no one had commented on. I will see if I can dig them up again.

It seemd ok. I don't use UseInstalled, so I never saw these warnings.

Hmm... I was getting problems with symbols in the Makefiles being redefined. I didn't think it was related to UseInstalled, but that is a possibility.

Basically, we need to get things in before Jan 17, right?

Feb 1

Right, but I am being very pragmatic here. In the past it has been difficult to submit, and get Alan to commit, dual patches for both head and a branch. After about a month, I think Alan deletes the branch, so patches to it seem to go to lala land. So my point is pretty much: January 17 for fewer headaches. :)

Harold

After that it means that we will have two distinctly different versions in the branches, right?

No. A new branch will be created for bugfixes for 4.3.0 and new features
will only go to the main branch.

That has always been a pain in the past.

Depends on how you use it. If we get a lot of patches for 4.3.0 and apply these and also get a lot of new features for the main branch, we'll get very different branches. But if we fix bugs only in the main branch, then we don't need the branch.

bye
ago