Re: XDMCP on Windows 95

Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

> > > xdm -udpPort 6556 -nodaemon -debug 10 -config
> >
> > Why this port? The default port is 177.
> Alexander, this exactly Microsoft problem : M$ is building its products
> thinking all people is using defaults, hiding some bugs that appear
> only in some cases.

If I'm researching a problem, I try to reduce the number of possible failure
points. A nondefault port for xdm is such a failure point. Was Xwin started
with the correct parameter to reflect this nondefault port? If I could charge
the user for support minutes, I would be happy if he would make the problem
difficult to solve.

You know why I've found that bug in cygwin with win95? Because I've read
the documentation. All those man pages, MSDN, FAQ, webpages. I found the
error and made a patch.

But a lot of questions on this list could be easily solved if the users would
read the documentation.

bye
    ago

NP: grauzone.02-12-02