Memory Leak install Binutil ?

Hi All,
I am trying to install binutils on cygwin running under Win 98. =
Unfortunately it fails at the same spot each time (see below for the =
error messages).

It almost seems like there is a memory leak since after the binutil =
install failure, I tried to start a command shell and Windows reported =
it did not have enough memory to start a shell. The only running process =
is bash.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Regards David
PS: Error messages follow:

checking if package supports dlls... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
    165 [main] sh 438179 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed, =
0x980000..0x
CC4000, done 0, windows pid 4294683529, Win32 error 8
eval: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
eval: Cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
configure: error: libtool configure failed
Configure in /build-binutils/binutils-2.13/opcodes failed, exiting.