Re: Preventing X server resets

Oliver, Peter wrote:

> I'm using XDMCP for my session, from where I run X applications on
> various different servers.  If the machine I logged onto with XDMCP is
> rebooted, or suffers network difficulties, the X server resets and I
> loose my whole session.  I would prefer the X server and it's remaining
> clients to continue running, so that I can just start a window manager
> on a different box and carry on working.  Is there some way to prevent
> this reset from happening?  I gave the -noreset option a try but it made
> no difference.

There is no way to prevent this. If the remote host reboots, you'll loose
all session information anyway since the XServer is only the display.

Image you are working locally with a computer and it resets. Do you expect
that you can still see what was last on the graphiccard? The same is with
the XServer. It only displays what the program wanted to show you.

NP: Apoptygma Berzerk - Snutt 7
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723