Re: Invoking rootless mode

Hi!

The "rootless" mode is much more interesting than the "real" one from other products (at least for me). One of the reasons for this is cygwins capability of still being able to use an X11 window manager (e.g. icewm) instead of the dump windows user interface (oh how I miss the "focus follows mouse" function within windows, just to mention one)...

I sometimes use a tail -f to follow some debug from a windows application compiled with borland and I definitely use nedit as my favourite editor (I came from the unix world). The first works much better when in rootless mode than being forced to switch from win to x and the other way round.

So - many useless words, but one tip:
Having icewm with the statusbar almost everything can be used as with fullscreen mode (Window managers menus are available via status bar). When icewm moves the complete window (I think that was called opaque move) even the problem with the invisible(?) window outline does not exists.

So GREAT WORK done there!

Bradey Honsinger wrote:
I didn't see a mention of the argument to invoke the new rootless mode
anywhere in this thread--no doubt it's in the updated man pages, but I just
grabbed the Test66 binary. Logically enough, it's '-rootless':

-rootless
EXPERIMENTAL: Run the server in pseudo-rootless mode.
You don't appear to need the '-nodecoration' option when you use
'-rootless'. Note that the output of 'XWin -help' goes to /tmp/XWin.log[1],
a fact which I had forgotten.
I just used -rootless without any other options. Works fine. Window creation and movement slows down a little but when the windows are shown there seems to be no speed punishment for using the pseudo rootless mode.

This is really cool--many thanks to Matsuzaki, Thomas, and Harold! It's a
bit of a hack, but it looks very useful, and at the least it should get most
of the 'Why doesn't cygwin-xfree work like my favorite commerial X server?'
people off of Harold's back. I'll probably go back to full-screen 'rooted'
mode, though--I _like_ hiding all of the Windows junk when I'm working in X.

  - Bradey

Just one question (little of topic in this thread): Has anyone succesfully used dfm with cygwin? It compiled flawless but when started it complains about dll`s missing in the path. That happened when trying to start a program or to change some preferences. (Funny enough those were cygwin1.dll and libX11.dll and the path was something like c:\cygwin\...) Maybe I just missed an existing patch (took dfm source from the projects homepage).

Regards,

Uwe