Re: Technical Qquery

Sumeet,

Yes, there are two ways that you can use Cygwin/XFree86 to display applications from your HP-UX server:

1) Remote sessions via XDMCP (there is an additional load placed on your server for each XDMCP session that is open). This option allows you to get a complete GUI just as if you were on the console of the HP-UX machine:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html

2) You can display individual client applications in Cygwin/XFree86 from your HP-UX machine using either telnet or ssh with X11 forwarding:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

Yes, Cygwin/XFree86 is free to use and no additional software is required. Specifically, Cygwin is free software and XFree86 is open source, both of which mean that the source code is available for free and you are free to use it.

Harold

Sumeet wrote:

Hi,

I am J Sumeet working as a Product Engineer for HCL Infosystems Ltd. I have
a few queries regarding this software :

1. Whether it will be able to bring the HP-UX Server GUI on our Windows
Desktop ?

2. Whether it is a freeware which doesn't require any other additional
software ?

Best Regards,

Sumeet J
PEG HCL Infosystems Ltd.