Re: cygwin's ssh with Xwin

Additionally, my recent SSH Notes email describes the scenario that you are in (next to last item on the list):

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00065.html

Harold

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Matthew Bailey wrote:

I have the latest version of Cygwin and ssh.  I am trying to display
another program remotely which I'm using Xwin32 5.2 to allow the display.

The server always responds Can't connect to display :"0.0".

I looked at my man pages for ssh and used the flag -X to enable forwarding
of my X11.  But, the server still responds the same, and will not allow me
to display my program.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,
M. Bailey

I'm sure this'll get redirected to cygwin-xfree, so I'm replying straight
there.

ssh, when run with X forwarding, sets up a special display on the target
machine.  The value of the DISPLAY variable should reflect that.
There are a couple of possibilities:

1) You are running 'ssh -X' from a bash prompt that does not have DISPLAY
set.  In this case ssh will silently ignore the -X option and will not set
up X forwarding.  To fix this, set DISPLAY to "localhost:0.0" before
invoking ssh.

2) (more likely from your symptoms) You have a login script that
automatically sets the DISPLAY to :0.0 on the target machine, overriding
the ssh-set value.  To fix this, find which script does that (could be
.bashrc, .profile, some other rc script, could even be /etc/profile if
your system administrator is sadistic/incompetent), and bracket the line
that assigns DISPLAY by (for sh/ksh/bash) 'if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then' and
'fi'.

Hope this helps,
	Igor