Re: SSH Notes

From: Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: SSH Notes
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:16:42 -0400
[snip]

At the very least, we should patch the Cygwin release of openssh to assume that DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 when DISPLAY is not defined in the environment. That would make X11 tunnelling much much easier for 95% of our users and I either can't see or I don't care about any pseduo-security hole that this might open up. (Hey, if SSH Secure Shell makes this assumption, then we can too.)
Come to think of it, why can't we introduce a wrapper script (we could call it xssh) instead of patching ssh itself? Here's my suggestion:

#!/bin/sh

if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]
then
echo "Error: In order to enable X11 forwarding the DISPLAY variable must be set"
exit
fi

ssh -X $*

Or, alternatively: