Re: XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 05:19:53PM +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
>
> > When you've come to a decision on the patch, post a new one so I
> > can take a look and then commit it.
>
> There's a new one.
>
> The cygwin.rules diff includes:
>
> - new macro SharedLibraryName
>   evalutes to cygName-Version.dll
> - new macro ImportLibraryName
>   evaluates to libName-Version.dll.a
> - new macro ShortImportLibraryName
>   evaluates to libName.dll.a
> - new macro InstallLink
>   creates a symlink on install. Needed for symlinking ImportLibraryName()
>   to ShortImportLibraryName()
> - new macro LinkImportLibrary
>   creates a link to ImportLibraryName as xc/exports/lib/libName.a
> - cleaup of of old macros to use the ShareLibraryName and ImportLibraryName
>   macros instead of the old Concat3() composition
> - added new ld option --exclude-libs All in MakeDLLProg. This should prevent
>   exporting of symbols which were imported from another library.
> - Some macros now also need the library version to pass it to the new *Name
>   macros. Added rev to parameterlists.
> - Installing a link libName-Version.dll.a with name libName.dll.a
>
> The --exclude-libs ALL is needed at my system since Xft exported symbols
> from Xrender. linking a program with -Xrender -lXft failed because of
> duplicate symbols. Since we're using spec files to specify which symbols
> have to be exported, --exclude-libs ALL should be no problem.
>
> The second path changes the order of the libraries. It is now -lXrender
> -lXext -lX11. This fixes an error where some symbols from libX11 were not
> found when the linker resolved symbols from libXrender.

I've done a test build with this and my other patches and it seems
to work well in my "limited" testing.

I've now committed the changes, so if others can also test as well,
that'd be good.

Can someone test a Cross Compile environment. I needed to comment
out the ComplexProgramTarget_1 rule which isn't needed when building
on Cygwin in my tests, but may well be needed for cross compiles. If
so I can stick in the #if CrossCompile/#endif stuff.

Thanks for the patch Alexander.

We're also awaiting the new cygwin dll and relevant binutils packages
before we can turn on shared libraries for Xaw/Xt as they export
arrays which the auto-import can't currently deal with. There are
workarounds for this, but I'm loathe to implement those kinds of
fixes.

Alan.