Re: Screen size question

From: Stephen Liu <satimis@writeme.com>
To: Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw@openminddev.net>,cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Screen size question
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:15:36 +0800
[snip]

Using fullscreen Alt-TAb can rotate between these 2 systems. But how to close "cygwin"
Alt-F4

I am still searching for a simple way to share files between these 2 systems instead of using Samba.

Could you shed me some light?
As I understand it, the problem you are trying to solve is this:

You are running X clients on hostname "remote" and displaying them on the Cygwin/Xserver on hostname "local". You want access to the files on "remote" from "local" with a minimum of effort.

While I agree that Samba is the best way to do this, and is relatively seemless (by mounting the filesystem on "remote" as a drive letter on "local"), there is an alternative:

1) Open a web browser from Windows (NOT as an X client from the remote machine!)
2) Use an URL of the form "ftp://username:password@remotehostname";.

This will give you file-explorer-like views and navigation of the user's home directory on the remote host.

Note that this functionality might not be built into your web browser. If not, it will complain, but should prompt you with how to install the neccessary features.