Re: XFree 4.2.1 + fontconfig-2

Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 10:25:48 +0200, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > That is a windows problem. The XFree libraries are in fact versioned.
> > (libXaw.so.6.1 vs libXaw.so.7.0)
>
> Alexander,
>
> You've hit a sore spot here. The issue of Xft1 vs Xft2 was only the
> starting of a larger picture.
>
> Your right in the fact that all libraries are versioned, and we don't
> respect that for any library. libX11.a should really be libX11-6_2.a etc
> or some equivalent of.

The .a libraries should not be the big problem. You usally have one version
of it installed (with the corresponding headers). But the shared libraries
might be a problem.

Taking a look at my linux system and libXaw.
I've installed libXaw.so.6.1 and libXaw.so.7.0 and libXaw.so as a symlink
to libXaw.so.7.0

Linking a library with libXaw.so creates a binary which expects at least
libXaw.so.7.0 but is incompatible with libXaw.so.6.*

A binary linked against libXaw.so.6.1 requires at least libXaw.so.6.1 and is
incompatible with libXaw.7.* and might not work with libXaw.so.6.0.

Mapping this the windows we get a scenario where we have on program against
libXaw7.dll and one against libXaw6.dll but with no information on minor
version changes. And maybe another libXaw.dll which works as library stub
when linking with -lXaw

The ncurses4 vs. ncurses5 issue shows a lot of the problems which will
arise.

Every new program which is linked against libXaw7 will not work with libXaw.dll
and older programs will still search for libXaw.dll which is now libXaw6.dll.

quite tricky.

Any other solutions or comments?

bye
    ago