Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Jehan wrote:

> 4. Give me valid point (like the hardware thing) and I'll just up. API
> compatibility isn't a valid one since it can be easily fix (more easily
> that writing a new GDI driver).

Just explain the design you have in mind. Is it

Application      User32.dll          User32-orig.dll     XWin

    ------------>LineTo(x,y)----+---->LineTo(x,y)

                                +-------------------->shadowDrawLine

If so, then you must call the xserver drawing function directly
Application      User32.dll          User32-orig.dll     XLib

    ------------>LineTo(x,y)----+---->LineTo(x,y)

                                +-------------------->XDrawLine

In this case you have the X11 Protocol overhead again.

And of course the problem with the replaced User32.dll

My proposal was

Application    User32.dll          GDI            DisplayGDI       XLib

    ---------->LineTo(x,y)---->gdiLineTo(x,y)--->gdiLineTo(x,y)

This requires the same work as replacing user32 since all exported functions
from the library must be replace with stubs calling the original functions
and the code for converting the calls to X11 or the Xserver functions
must be written.

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723