Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

Keith D. Tyler wrote:

David Fraser was recently quoted as saying...

I've discovered that rather than using -fullscreen, if you simply use -nodecoration
and set the X server to run at the same size as fullscreen, it doesn't minimize when
you switch tasks, but still stays the same size as the full screen in the background.
The advantage being you can still see it behind your other apps (if they're not maximized),
although they're still not actually inside X windows.

Yeah... but unless you only use alt-tab to switch apps, you have to
minimize the X server periodically to see the minimized app icons (which
are ugly as sin in Win95+, but that's another matter)

Another thought on this theme (these are all just patch-ups, we really want the whole
Windows running in X thing) is to have a hook that catches Shell functions (opening,
closing of Windows, etc) and use that to create dummy (transparent?) windows in X corresponding
to each top-level window in Windows. Selecting the window in X should then activate
the window in Windows. They would then appear in the taskbar / list of windows in
whatever window manager system is being used in X. Windows has a nice Hook system
that is fairly easy to use...

Could we modify them to send messages between them for certain desktops?

Doubtful.

So say you have Ctrl-F1, Ctrl-F2 switching to Linux Desktop 1 and 2, then
Ctrl-F3, Ctrl-F4 switch back to the Windows one and tell it to activate a certain
desktop. That way we'd be writing glue code rather than a whole new system.

Well, I use directional window-switching keystrokes. The JSPager set uses
Ctrl-Up,Ctrl-Down, etc, and my FvwmPager set uses Alt-Up, Alt-Down, etc.

This is, I realize, all probably very unrealistic dreaming, but any leads
or tips are welcome.

Sounds like if Wine emulates a Win32 environment and then converts Win32
apps to X windows, the problem is partly solved there. But AFAIK Wine
doesn't have a multi-window mode, you get one X window which contains a
Windows desktop *within* which normal GDI windows run. Is that right or
has that changed?

No, each GDI window runs in a separate X window

Keith D. Tyler keith@keithtyler.com
Federal Way, WA http://www.keithtyler.com
Terrorists can attack freedom, but only Congress can destroy it.