Re: X client wrapper for Win apps?

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Keith D. Tyler wrote:

[GDI apps using X11]

> This is, I realize, all probably very unrealistic dreaming, but any leads
> or tips are welcome.

I don't know much of the windows internals but thought of simple
concept.

Every Windows draw command is translated into calls to a GDI driver. this
driver is either the driver of the graphics card or a printer. The people
from wine already have written a driver which exports a GDI interface and
maps all calls to X11. Maybe this is a starting point.

I never tried to compile the wine x11drv as a native windows driver. This
would be the first hurdle to take.

Then one must either replace the original windows display driver or use
the x11drv as proxy (export X11 and call old display driver) or even set
the driver per application (create a new graphics context with the x11drv)
so the rest of the system is not affected.

bye
	ago
Xpost to wine-devel, they might know it better
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723