Re: XFree hangs after first client is started

Carlos,

I have never personally experienced that problem, nor do I know where to begin in attempting to solve it.

You could try the usual, like making sure no firewall software is installed, etc.

One thing I can guarantee: if you format the hard drive on a machine (not necessarily one of the two that don't work), install Windows, then immediately install Cygwin/XFree86, then Cygwin/XFree86 will work without problems. My point? Lots of seemingly harmless software (firewalls, etc.) do things to the TCP/IP system on Windows that breaks Cygwin/XFree86 and a lot of these programs never fully ``uninstall''. That is, they usually leave their broken TCP/IP changes in place. So, your only choice may be to start from a blank slate, get Cygwin/XFree86 working, then install your other applications until you find which one breaks Cygwin/XFree86.

Good luck,

Harold

Carlos Santiago wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to ask the Cygwin/XFree community for help
on this issue. It pretty much involves the X server
hanging after one client is started (i.e. xterm, xeyes,
or a window manager for that matter). There are no
errors being logged or displayed. It happens on 2 of
4 boxes we have (sadly, it happens on the 2 boxes we
need Cygwin/XFree in). All installations are fresh
installations with no custom Cygwin configurations.
All environment settings are exactly the same accross
boxes.

The following 2 threads describe the specifics:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-09/msg00085.html
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-09/msg00038.html

Are there any starting points I could start looking at?
Given the lack of responses to the original poster,
is this something any other people have experienced?
Would it be worth the time looking into this or would
it be appropriate for me to look into a non-Cygwin/XFree
solution and instead into a different UNIX alternative?

Thank you in advance for any help on this,

- Carlos