Re: Files transfer question

Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Hans, David and other folks,
>
> Oeste, Hans P GPEB:EX wrote:
>
>> You might want to make sure to dave them in a file format that is
>> supported
>> by Office XP since it doesn't support Open Office, of course. Then
>> save it
>> to a file share that both can access.
>>
> There is nothing to do with file format. Files created in OpenOffice
> and OfficeXP are interchangeable. I am looking for a way to transfer
> files, disregarding their format, between WinXP and "cygwin/LTSP" not
> via Samba or another software. Now I make use of Internet for file
> transfer (dispatch files as attachment from Kmail and download it with
> Outlook Express). I am seeking whether there are other methods making
> use of 'cygwin/LTSP server"
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen

Not sure that I understand exactly what your question is. Basically
you're interested in transferring the file.
The nicest way to be able to do this is have a directory which is always
shared, so that you don't have to set
anything up, it just appears in the file system.
Samba is an open source implementation of Microsoft's SMB file sharing
protocol (see www.samba.org)
which should be included in your Linux distribution ... So if you can
share a directory from the LTSP server
then you should be able to access it from Windows. For more info see the
how to on the Linux Documentation Project,
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html and look at the section
"Sharing a linux drive with windows machines"
On the other hand you may not have rights to set up such stuff on the
LTSP server. Then what you could use
is a once-off copy between the machines. For this you could use a huge
number of different tools. I would recommend
using scp (secure copy) which is available in cygwin from the openssh
package or in linux. You can also set it up to
automatically authenticate using public keys so you don't have to enter
the password each time. Example syntax:
(from cygwin) scp stephen@ltsp.computer:~/officedocument.xls ./mycopy.xls
You probably want to set up the sshd server as a service if you want to
do it the otherway round
(from linux) scp ~/officedocument.xls
stephen@windows.computer:/cygdrive/c/temp/mycopy.xls
Other tools you could use include ftp etc
In any case the cygwin-xfree list isn't raelly the place for this question, maybe the standard cygwin list if this doesn't solve the problem.