From: Dai [mailto:Daisaku_Itasaka@el.nec.com]
Sent: vrijdag 13 september 2002 20:25
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: twm iconmngr missing inputs

Things don't happen when you expect....Murphy's Law? ;-<

So far since the first post, I haven't been able to get to the situation
where 'ctrl-shift' doesn't work. Until yesterday, it had happened in
about every few hours or so, sometimes less than 30 minutes.

I got the xev output for the "normal" case already and am ready to do
that for the "bad" case.

Speaking of xev output messages, how would you save it in a file?
I thought a simple redirection(xev > file) should work but didn't.
I ended up yanking and copying the face of the xterm window. What
is the proper way to do it?

By the way, I did one thing on XWin, which I don't know might help
or not. That's the -emulate3buttons option. I hadn't used it. But
I realized that I needed it because the yanking and copying on xterm
didn't work without it. Since restarted with this option, the problem
hasn't happened yet. I don't know if it's related or not.

Thanks for your help.
Dai (a mouse-hater :-)

) Thank you for the detailed report.
)
) You now need to do three things before we can comment on your problem:
)
) 1) Run ``xev'' (X Event Viewer) before the problem occurs. Press a few
) combinations of keys involving Ctrl, Shift, and some letters. Keep it
) simple and document exactly what you push. Save the output of xev to
) a file.
)
) 2) Run ``xev'' after the problem occurs but before you reboot. Repeat
) the EXACT combinations of keys that you pressed above. Save this output
) to another file.
)
) 3) Email the contents of both files into cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com,
) along with a description of which keys you pressed in which order.
)
) With that information we should be able to figure out what is going on.
)
) Harold
)
) > Dai wrote:
) >
) > Hello all,
) >
) > Here's how I use this thing:
) >
) > 	- start bash on Win2K
) > 	- type "startxwin.sh" in the bash window
) > 	  (this creates the root window and a xterm window in it)
) > 	- type "xhost myLinux" in the xterm
) > 	- type "telnet myLinux" in the xterm
) > 	  (this gives me a tcsh prompt on the remote host)
) > 	- type "setenv DISPLAY myWin2K:0"
) > 	- type "twm &"
) >
) > Then twm starts running and I enjoy the wonderful twm world without
) > any problem whatsoever. I can move to any window with 'ctrl-shift-j'
) > or 'ctrl-shift-k' anytime. I can raise or lower the current window
) > with 'ctrl-shift-m'. Iconify/restore, zooming/unzooming....everything
) > is done with a 'ctrl-shift-something' key stroke.
) >
) > But, after something snaps somewhere, this is no longer available.
) > The 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a 'ctrl'. The ctrl key and the
) > shift key work fine if used separately. I mean, I can do all the
) > emacs-like command line editing with ctrl key and I can type in
) > CAPITALs with shift. But 'ctrl-shift' doesn't work anymore, thus
) > I lose all the handy twm hotkeys.
) >
) > The X server is running on Win2K. Twm is running on the remote Linux
) > box, which is fine with other X servers running on some other MS-
) > Windows machines, even after this happens on this Win2K.
) >
) > Once this happens, restarting twm internally(using twm's restart
) > menu), or restarting externally(exit twm and run it again from the
) > shell), or even restarting XWin(startxwin.sh) doesn't fix the problem.
) > I have to reboot Win2K.
) >
) > I don't know where the problem resides. And I don't know exactly how
) > to reproduce the situation where 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a ctrl.
) > But it just happens and I have to reboot the machine. ;-<
) >
) > Whose problem is this? How can I fix(or avoid) it?
) > I would very much appreciate your help. TIA.
) >
) > I'm using this Cygwin version and I setup everything using the
setup.exe.
) > CYGWIN_NT-5.0 myWin2K 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown
) >

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
You are explicitly requested to notify the sender of this email that the intended recipient was not reached.