Re: Starting cygwin problem

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:
> >
> >>  Hi All Folks,
> >>
> >>I have Cygwin installed on a WinXP PC which linked to LTSP server,
> >>working as a diskless workstartion and a standand alone PC as well. The
> >>PC has 2 NICs, one of which is mounted with a boot-rom and connected to
> >>LTSP server and another to Internet.
> >>
> >>Starting WinXP by selecting 'LOCAL' when turned on the PC
> >>
> >>Clicking 'Cygwin' icon on desktop, The shell window popup
> >>
> >>I have no name!@M40G ~
> >>$ cygstart
> >>Usage: cygstart [-a STRING] [d- STRING]..........
> >>..........[OPTION]... FILE [ARGUMENTS]
> >>
> >>I have no name!@M40G ~
> >>$ hostname [ENTER]
> >>M40G [is the name of the PC/computer]
> >>
> >>I have no name!@M40G ~
> >>$ X -query 192.168.0.254 [ENTER] (IP Add of LTSP server)
> >>
> >>started an empty "Cygwin/XFree86 window
> >>
> >>Kindly advise how to make them connected
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >>Stephen Liu
> >>

> >Mmm...  Cygwin is a UNIX emulation environment under windows.  You got
> >yourself a UNIX shell prompt.  Technically, you've started Cygwin. :-)
> >What exactly are you trying to start again?
> >
> I need to run Linux on WinXP side by side.
>
> >If my guess is correct, and you're trying to start an X session on
> >Cygwin/XFree86, try running startx, and search the cygwin-xfree mailing
> >list archives for details: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/
> >X-related questions should be addressed there.
> >	Igor
>
> I searched "startx" and "start X session" but could not find some
> answer/question relevant.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Stephen

Stephen,

First off, the Reply-To: header means that I'd prefer to get the answer at
that address, rather than at the From: address.  I'm really surprised
Netscape doesn't handle this correctly.

Second, the cygwin-xfree list really is the appropriate place for this
discussion, so please don't Cc: further replies to the cygwin list.

Third, it might help if you actually installed all the relevant XFree86
packages for Cygwin.  A search of Cygwin setup packages on
http://cygwin.com/packages/ for "startx" returned a bunch of hits in the
XFree86 packages -- try it.

Fourth, do a search on google for "Cygwin startx" and read the first hit.
Good luck.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51