Re: twm iconmngr missing inputs

Dai,

Thank you for the detailed report.

You now need to do three things before we can comment on your problem:

1) Run ``xev'' (X Event Viewer) before the problem occurs. Press a few combinations of keys involving Ctrl, Shift, and some letters. Keep it simple and document exactly what you push. Save the output of xev to a file.

2) Run ``xev'' after the problem occurs but before you reboot. Repeat the EXACT combinations of keys that you pressed above. Save this output to another file.

3) Email the contents of both files into cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com, along with a description of which keys you pressed in which order.

With that information we should be able to figure out what is going on.

Harold

Dai wrote:
Hello all,

Here's how I use this thing:

	- start bash on Win2K
	- type "startxwin.sh" in the bash window
	  (this creates the root window and a xterm window in it)
	- type "xhost myLinux" in the xterm
	- type "telnet myLinux" in the xterm
	  (this gives me a tcsh prompt on the remote host)
	- type "setenv DISPLAY myWin2K:0"
	- type "twm &"

Then twm starts running and I enjoy the wonderful twm world without
any problem whatsoever. I can move to any window with 'ctrl-shift-j'
or 'ctrl-shift-k' anytime. I can raise or lower the current window
with 'ctrl-shift-m'. Iconify/restore, zooming/unzooming....everything
is done with a 'ctrl-shift-something' key stroke.

But, after something snaps somewhere, this is no longer available.
The 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a 'ctrl'. The ctrl key and the
shift key work fine if used separately. I mean, I can do all the
emacs-like command line editing with ctrl key and I can type in
CAPITALs with shift. But 'ctrl-shift' doesn't work anymore, thus
I lose all the handy twm hotkeys.

The X server is running on Win2K. Twm is running on the remote Linux
box, which is fine with other X servers running on some other MS-
Windows machines, even after this happens on this Win2K.

Once this happens, restarting twm internally(using twm's restart
menu), or restarting externally(exit twm and run it again from the
shell), or even restarting XWin(startxwin.sh) doesn't fix the problem.
I have to reboot Win2K.

I don't know where the problem resides. And I don't know exactly how
to reproduce the situation where 'ctrl-shift' is treated as just a ctrl.
But it just happens and I have to reboot the machine. ;-<

Whose problem is this? How can I fix(or avoid) it?
I would very much appreciate your help. TIA.

I'm using this Cygwin version and I setup everything using the setup.exe.
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 myWin2K 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown