RE: QT2 ready for ITP?

> Ralf,
>
> Here is how I would like to do it:

I aggree mostly with your view, but I see the best in dividing the stuff into
the following packages

(a) qtlib      - qt dll without debug information and basic docs (REDAME's,
etc.). This is the minimum for using additional qt applications and it should
contain the basic docs

(b) qttools or
    qtdevtools - qt development tool like designer (linguist, assistant for qt3)

(c) qtdevel    - import libs and header and qt docs for compiling qt
applications

(d) qtsource   - contains all the source of the qt package from the kde-cygwin
cvs
(e...z) qt...  additional 3rd party qt applications like qtmemory or xdu ...
(for example the freeware from
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/freesoftware/index.html) or doxygen or
whatever you can imagine.

This packaging is based on the fact that qt is an application development
framework and tutorial and examples are not really needed for running qt
applications, they are more lessons, which the users should do it yourself, so
the qtlib must be available.
The devel and tool packages are only necessary for developing qt-applications
and they may be one packages, so that at least only the devel package remains.

(a) qtlib      - qt dll without debug information and basic docs (REDAME's,
etc.). This is the minimum for using additional qt applications and it should
contain the basic docs

(b) qtdevel    - import libs, header, docs and tools for compiling qt
applications

(c) qtsource   - contains all the source of the qt package from the kde-cygwin
cvs

(d...z) qt...  additional 3rd party qt applications like qtmemory or xdu ...
(for example the freeware from
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/freesoftware/index.html) or doxygen or
whatever

The one question, which is left is, should the source packages  added (1) as
separate package or should it be added (2) in a setup.ini source line of the
qtlib od qtdevel package.

I prefer adding the source package to the qtlib package, because this is the
basic package. Probably we could add the qtsource package to the qtdevel package
too, but I don't know if it works.

> If we want to have qt2 and qt3 coexisting, then we need to provide a
> suitable directory structure for the Cygwin mirrors.  To prevent
> clobbering, and improper parsing by upset, we will put the packages
> in the following directory structure:
>
> qt/qt2.3/ - #1 & #5
> qt/qt2.3/libqt2.3/ - #2
> qt/qt2.3/libqt2.3-devel/ - #3
> qt/qt2.3/libqt2.3-extras/ - #4

In the cygwin release directory there are some examples for using major bases
directory layouts, which contains several updates in one dir.

./libpng/libpng2/libpng2-1.0.12-1-src.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng2/libpng2-1.0.12-1.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng10/libpng10-1.0.14-2-src.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng10/libpng10-1.0.13-3-src.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng10/libpng10-1.0.13-1.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng10/libpng10-1.0.13-3.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng10/libpng10-1.0.14-2.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng12-devel/libpng12-devel-1.2.4-2.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng12-devel/libpng12-devel-1.2.3-1.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng12/libpng12-1.2.3-1.tar.bz2
./libpng/libpng12/libpng12-1.2.4-2.tar.bz2

qt2 will not have any major abi changes in the future,so it is enough to build
like that:

  qt/qt2/qtlib2/
  qt/qt2/qtdevel2/
  qt/qt2/qt..../  (for additional qt applications)

  qt/qt2/qtlib2/
		qtlib-2.3.1-1.tar.bz2
		qtlib-2.3.1-1-src.tar.bz2
		setup.hint

  qt/qt2/qtdevel2/
		qtdevel-2.3.1-1.tar.bz2
		setup.hint

  qt/qt2/qt.../
		qt...-x.y.z-n.tar.bz2
		qt...-x.y.z-n-src.tar.bz2
		setup.hint

for qt3 we could do in the same manner except that we us

  qt/qt3/qtlib3/
  qt/qt3/qtdevel3/
  qt/qt3/qt..../  (for additional qt applications)

> (b)'s applications will be transformed from
> "foo.exe" to "foo_2.3.exe" during "make install".
>
> A post-install script will make symlinks
> to the standard names of the applications.

I see no need for this. Because the qt2 abi will not be changed a simple
etc/profile.d script would do the things needed for setting the propper
environment:

$cat /etc/profile.d/qt2.sh
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt2
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$MANPATH:$QTDIR/doc/man

Of cource it means that all qt application shoud be installed into /usr/lib/qt2,
which is true for the basic qt tools.

What about 3rdparty qt packages. Where should they been installed ? Also in
/usr/lib/qt2 or should

Any comments ?

Ralf

Ralf