Unresolved reference in a cygwin/xfree86 library

I tried to install LyX on a laptop that has a US keyboard; I had to download and install cygwin and Xfree86 plus customize for my terminal. Everyting OK; Installed LyX; everything OK except for one point.

For writing in Italian I need the grave accent (the acute is comparatively rarer and it works fine) and I want ot set it up the same as in MSWord (and SciWord, apparently); I customize the cua.bind LyX binding file in order to have accents configured as a <Ctrl>-accent combination followed by the suitable vowel. Things work fine for ', ~, and ^; they dont work with " and `. I can do without the umlaut, but I can't do without the grave accent.

I read and reread the LyX documentation; it suggests to configure the keyboard key by means of xmodmap and xkeycaps; xmodmap is part of cygwin/xfree86 distribution (the latest distribution downlaoaded -- for the n-th time -- on 25 july 2002) and apparently indicate that my laptop keyboard is correctly identified and installed. Nevertheless since things don't work as expected, I have the curiosity of installing xkeycaps; I downloaded it from its home site (www.jwz.org) and followed the whole procedure for the installation which implies using xmkmf, make, and so on; the former works fine, the latter stops with a linker error on the very last step, where it say that it found and unresolved reference XpmReadFileToPixmap in a module deriving from the compilation of pixmap.c in library /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.a.

I suppose that libXaw.a has a little glitch, but may be it's only my installation.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Claudio