Re: X11 backing store

Hans Werner Strube wrote:
If X11 graphics programs request backing store, for instance, with
    drawattr.backing_store = Always;
    XChangeWindowAttributes(display, drawable, CWBackingStore, &drawattr);
this seems to have no effect. The same program works correctly in Solaris
(SPARC) and IRIX (MIPS).
The memory of my graphics card (8 MB, Rage Mobility) appears sufficient,
since the whole screen would only use 2.3 MB with 24 bits/pixel. It would
be desirable to have this possibility to avoid explicit redrawing after
a portion of the window has been covered or the window has been iconized
and reopened.

Hans,

The amount of memory on your video card is not relevant. All Cygwin/XFree86 graphics operations are computed in system memory and only the resulting pixels are transferred to the screen.

Cygwin/XFree86 has support for backing store, but it is not enabled by default. You have to pass the ``+bs'' parameter to XWin.exe to enable backing store support:

XWin +bs

We have not confirmed whether the backing store actually performs to specification. I just ran XWin with the backing store enabled and xterm running under the mwm window manager failed to redraw its client area correctly when I moved one xterm over another xterm. I cannot tell you if this is a bug with general XFree86 code, with Cygwin-specific XFree86 code, with mwm, or with xterm.

I have seen various posting that seem to indicate that backing store support is not trusted anymore... perhaps it is no longer being maintained. It is also possible that I have simply misread or misremembered things. Maybe backing store support is still fully maintained and perhaps we are simply not using it correctly.