Re: On a side note - display resolution changes now handled

Jehan wrote:
Harold Hunt wrote:

You must be tired.

Well, actually yes :p. I did some canoeing last Friday and I haven't recovered yet. :)

Are you talking about canoeing, or ``canoeing''. When we went ``canoeing'' it involved a cooler full of beer and as the day progressed the cooler full of beer was spotted more and more often floating down the river next to a coule of upside down canoes and a bunch of guys trying to get the cooler back into a righted canoe before the precious contents were lost. But I digress... :)

If we create a new offscreen surface (which I was not
talking about doing, I only said we have to recreate the primary (onscreen)
surface) with a different depth/format/etc than the original offscreen
surface, then we have effectively changed the X graphics mode and we would
need to use some sort of X extension to notify clients that all pixmaps and
visuals have been reset. If there is such an extension, I am not aware of
it.

I'm not familiar with DirectX nor the internal of X so maybe I used the wrong words. I'm not actually talking of changing what the X server think the screen resolution/depth is. But we can already have a different resolution/depth for the visual than for the monitor, which means that there is a conversion at some point when the depth doesn't match. So why can't you just throw away everything that is after the conversion? I would think that, at worst, if the conversion happens when drawing into the offscreen surface, all the buffers would have to be recreated and that X would just have to ask all X windows to redraw their content in the new offscreen buffer.

I think I see where you are confused.

I said previously that we can handle screen resolution changes because we essentially just enable scrollbars, if necessary, to allow the extra area to be viewed. With the Shadow GDI engine, that is all that has to be done.

However, with the Shadow DirectDraw and Shadow DirectDraw Non-Locking engines we must release and recreate the primary surface using the same size as it had before. This is really just a technicality. You see, DirectDraw allows a surface to be larger than the screen size. But, when you change the screen resolution, DirectDraw requires that you release the primary surface and create again. DirectDraw doesn't care if you recreate the primary surface using the exact same parameters; rather, it just wants you to recreate it. Yes, this is silly, but that is what DirectDraw requires.

====

I also said previously that screen depth changes were much more disruptive than screen resolution changes.

First, a little background on surfaces. We create an offscreen surface and we provide the X graphics layers with a pointer into the memory used to represent the pixels on that surface. All X graphics operations (fb, shadow, mi, etc.) are done by calculating offsets of various pixels in this ``framebuffer'' and applying various transformations to those pixels. Thus, a horizontal blue line would be drawn by offsetting to the start of that line, then flipping the value for the next x pixels to blue. The ``shadow'' layer in X allows graphics to be drawn to an offscreen framebuffer. Shadow keeps track of the regions in the offscreen fraembuffer that have been updated, and it occasionally calls a ``shadow update'' function that tells us to transfer those regions to the screen. DirectDraw has something called a ``primary surface'' that represents what is being displayed on the screen. When we want to display the updated bits of the offscreen framebuffer, we do a ``bit block transfer'' from the offscreen surface to the primary surface.

The offscreen surface and the primary surface usually have the same format (that is, they have the same pixel format that specifies how many bits for red, green, and blue and how many bits are used per pixel value in the framebuffer).

If the offscreen surface and the primary surface have the same format, then a bit block transfer between them is essentially a memory copy from the system memory to the video memory (with lots of fun synching issues that Windows takes care of for us). Imagine for a second that the offscreen surface was allowed to have a different format than the primary surface. Then a bit block transfer from the offscreen surface to the primary surface now must examine *every single pixel* and transform the color values from, say, 16 bits per pixel to 32 bits per pixel. That is a hell of a lot more complex than doing a simple memory transfer.

DirectDraw is primarily concerned with enabling high-performance. Therefore, I think that allowing the offscreen surface to have a different depth than the primary surface would be contradictory to the purpose of DirectDraw.

I have not checked the DirectDraw documentation to see whether offscreen surfaces must have the same depth as primary surfaces. I did say that I did not think it likely that DirectDraw would allow different depths for the two surfaces. You could verify this, but I am willing to bet that different depths are not allowed.

Notice that we never change the format of the offscreen framebuffer. Thus, the structure of the framebuffer that X draws to us unchanged. X does not support screen depth changes while running, so changing the format of our offscreen framebuffer would causes all graphics operations to draw incorrectly and it would possibly cause a segmentation fault if the depth of the offscreen framebuffer was decreased (because the total memory region would then be smaller than X was expecting).

====

With the Shadow GDI engine, Windows will transform *every single pixel* whenever we do a bit block transfer from a DIB to the screen and the depth of the two differs. Thus, we are allowed to have a different depth for the X visual than for the Windows screen, but doing so causes a huge performance penalty. However, I think that allowing this and providing a popup warning about the performance penalty is better than just ceasing to display graphics at all.

====

With the DirectDraw engines I do not think that we can have a differnt depth for the two surfaces, so I fear that our only option in that case is to cease transferring the updated regions of the offscreen surface until such a time as the Windows screen depth has been returned to its original value.

====

Does that answer your questions?