Re: New (Delphi) xlauncher

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 16:23, Jehan wrote:
> Harold Hunt wrote:
> > Think about it: you are creating a graphical application that launches a
> > graphical windowing system.  Therefore, you have to already have a graphical
> > windowing system of some form running.  At last count, that means that you
> > are running either Windows, Mac OS X, OS/2, or maybe BeOS.  You certainly
> > can't be running on any platform that uses X11 as the graphical windowing
> > system, because you would have to have X11 running in order to launch X11
> > via your launcher.
> >
> > Now, the Mac OS X folks have lots of neat ways that their server is already
> > tied into the Mac OS X-specific startup methods and such.  Supporting BeOS
> > would be a silly academic waste of effort.  OS/2 is similar, but good luck
> > finding a cross-platform toolkit that includes OS/2 support.
> >
> > So, what are your real targets here?  Have I missed some operating system
> > that also needs an X launcher utility?
>
> I think Xnest was mentioned a few days ago... yes, that was it:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-07/msg00166.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-07/msg00388.html

Yeah, there is that, and I was also hoping that I'd eventually be able
to add support for rdesktop, etc.
I'd like to add support at some stage for interfacing to ssh, so that
you can launch the X server, then launch an ssh session to a remote
server, and run a command.

Things like that :)

Running a remote XDMCP session using Xnest could be handy, although I'm
not sure how big a scope there would be. I was hoping to use it for
running broken programs with a lower display depth (xapple2, etc),
although it appears Xnest doesn't have that functionality.

So, I'm starting to lean to a win32api solution, as I now don't really
have a need for Xnest solution, although I haven't a clue how to start
:)

Anyway, I'll let you know how I go, but let me have your
comments/suggestions, etc if you have any,

Cheers,

Tim.