RE: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 16:33, Harold Hunt wrote:
> For future reference, the xlauncher-style program is on my list of things to
> do.  I want it done in straight C or C++ interfacing the GDI manually.  I
> don't want dependencies on cumbersome libraries, and I don't want any
> non-free compiler languages involved.  This xlauncher will remain on my
> to-do list until it is written to the above specs, regardless of whether or
> not someone comes up with a really slick xlauncher that depends on
> super-duper-library-foo.  I don't care about super-duper-library-foo, I just
> want to be able to spend a small amount of time in order to contribute to a
> program with an arguably small scope.

So wxWindows is also out?
I was hoping for a cross platform xlauncher, as it would also be useful
under a linux/*nix system using Xnest.

I don't know a way to get cross platform support easily without using a
library of some kind, and wxWindows seems to be the best, it's been
around for ten years, and has a _lot_ of functionality.

I understand your concern at depending on libraries, and I guess
compiling a static binary won't satisfy your needs?

The only other way I can see to do this is to do a complete rewrite of
the program per OS, to utilise each systems native framework. There
would be very little portable code between each version.

Writing it as an X app once rootless mode works could be an option, as
we would only have to write for an X framework, and not for Win32. This
sounds like overkill to me though.

Cheers,

Tim.