Re: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

Nicholas Wourms wrote:
Because scripts are unreliable. Because users are stupid. Because people
like to have a GUI checkbox over a text console prompting them for input. You are admirable for defending your script, but the fact of the matter is
that people prefer the graphical setup. Why? Well look at the the
various linuxes out there, they are, for the most part, migrating to a
graphical install. They don't rely on crummy shell scripts any more.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. A lot of application uses GUI as a front end to script and command line tools.

think you are missing the original point, Slashdot did an article on
Cygwin/XFree86, not Cygwin/OpenSSH, not Cygwin/RXVT. The point is that X
is a special interface that deserves a special shortcut that is made by
setup.exe.
So before Slashdot, XWin didn't deserve the shortcut? And for what I saw in the cygwin mailing list, some people want rxvt to be the default. Currently, I have two shortcuts, one for rxvt and one for bash. If the xlauncher comes, we will want a shortcut for it because people won't have to configure X by hand, they will have a GUI.

Until we have a data-driven database system which can interact
with setup.exe and respond to user input, this is probably the best bet.
I fear I disagree. We have a way to creat shortcuts already. It's not pretty but it works. This way is also flexible because it doesn't prevent other applications to do the same.
So instead of creating another way (even if it's simple) to create shortcuts, that isn't even flexible, I would say the best bet is to focus on a data-driven GUI.

But realize that I'm not trying to tell people what to do, I'm just
strongly voicing my opinion.
Good because you can't! Sorry! *grin*.

	Jehan