Re: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

Harold L Hunt wrote:
Unfortunately you cannot use a relative path (e.g. ..\..\.., which gets \bin
appended on it to point to /bin) because that causes bash (or whatever shell
you launch in xterm) to have a relative path the Cygwin binaries.  Thus you
can no longer run Cygwin binaries if you change out of the /usr/X11R6/bin
directory, because your relative path to the Cygwin binaries is now incorrect.
I was not suggesting to use relative paths. They are even worse than the current solution since the current solution only assumes that we are in the good drive while relative path would assumes we also in the good directory. It was just to justify why I think the current system is a bastard path. Neither absolute nor relative.

So, we have to use an absolute path, which is why why need something like
c:\cygwin.  We go one further an change this to \cygwin because we used to get
weekly complaints like, ``yikes, cygwin1.dll could not be found, cause i am
l33t and i installed to d:\cygwin''.  We do not get regular complaints
anymore,  so \cygwin is an improvement over c:\cygwin.
I'm too new to the mailing list, I wasn't their at that time. But I'm suprise by this error message. Because this error means than XWin.exe has been found (or whatever other cygwin executable). And if it has been, then cygwin1.dll path is known since there is no way to install individual package in individual directories (none that I know of at least).

Now, about not being able to see things that you are looking for in a file: I
wrote two paragraphs! of comments about setting the path correctly, and in
those comments there does appear a c:\cygwin.  I cannot help someone if they
are skimming so fast as to completely miss all of that.
RTFM. :). I read it eventually, it just didn't come immediatly because I was looking for an absolute path first.

Can the batch file be created via the installation script? Then you're environment would be cygwin and not windows, wouldn't it? The thing I don't know there would be the "cr/lf" vs "lf" thing.
You didn't comment on this potential solution. I'm not familiar with setup.exe (at least less than you). Is there an obvious reason why this wouldn't work? If not, and if I don't work too late today, I may look at it. Ignoring potential newline issues, it seems as simple as:

cat << EOF > /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat
#blablabla beginning of the batch file
EOF
echo SET CYGWIN_ROOT=\"`cygpath -w /`\" >> /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat
cat << EOF >> /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat
#blablabla end of batch file
EOF

Go harold, go!! Kill him :). You know what is better than "sitting outside by the pool, getting a tan, and drinking a beer"? It sitting outside by the pool, getting a tan, drinking a beer and watching a fight game! :)
Heh heh... What is a ``fight game''?  Are you referring to boxing?
Anything with a little violence in it. Not the WWF thing, it feels too fake to be relaxing. Playing to some quake like games is good too. :)

Jehan