Re: Using only the X server of Cygwin

On Sun 07 Jul 2002 at 15:35:22 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> However, it SHOULD be possible -- and checking the ml archives on this
> will help -- to create a custom 'setup.ini' script or pseudo-package
> that setup.exe can read, to install ONLY what you want -- but this will
> take a little work on your part.  Again, check the archives.

Thanks, I will do that.

I was indeed alerted by Slashdot to cygwin/xfree. I remember trying it
some time ago, but back then it was more difficult to get going, if I
got it going at all (I don't remember exactly). So in that view, there
is a lot of progress :-)

> These are all part of the 'Base' category.  If you explicitly
> de-selected specific items -- even if they are in the 'Base' category --
> then setup shouldn't even download them.  There may be a bug in
> setup.exe's handling of the Base category.  Sorry about that.

At least I am glad it did not install them, since that saves me the
trouble of verifying that they are really not necessary.

> (*) that is, cygwin-xfree should work OOB on a standalong machine
> without any external font server, at least by default.  Do we really
> want a windows newbie to understand "oh, I also need to install the
> fonts".  Of course not -- we do that by default IF the user installs X.
>  [Linux distros do this too, you know -- if you install XFree86 on Red
> Hat, you *will* get the fonts.]

You have a point. But I also think that there will be "lots" of people
who would like cygwin/xfree to be a replacement for XWin-32 or other
similar products, so some configuration preset for that would come in
handy.

> --Chuck
Thanks,
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert      -- The evil eye is caused by the black
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- tongue - Tom Poes, "Het boze oog", 4456.