Re: FW: xc/lib/fontconfig/fonts.conf depends on existing fonts installation

Nicholas,

> Let's assume I have followed the directions exactly (because this is what
> has happened in the past when I followed them exactly).  When
> cross-compiling, why is make World trying to use the foreign utilities to
> build the fonts?  Shouldn't it be using the utilities under
> /usr/X11R6/bin?  I don't know if this relates to your comments below, but
> it is very annoying.

I don't know what to tell you.  I can't cross compile right now because my
Linux box has 150 MB of free space, while it takes between 500 MB and 1 GB to
do a cross compile of Cygwin/XFree86.  I'm going to have to install one of my
other hard drives in order to do a cross compile build check... and I'm more
keen to work on new features right now, as it would take me about 10 hours to
upgrade my Linux box and do the cross compile.  Maybe I'll work on that this
weekend, but I'd really rather be doing something else instead.

Our intentions for cross compiling have always been that you can bootstrap
XFree86 from a non-Cygwin operating system.  However, there are lots of
contributors to XFree86 and they don't always know how to maintain cross
compile compatibility for Cygwin.  This is completely understandable... I
could accidentally break something for other platforms in one of my patches,
but I've been fortunate enough to not have done so yet.  Thankfully I'd be
forgiven if I did break something... my point being that we don't get upset
when someone breaks cross compiling for Cygwin, but we don't always have time
to fix the problem right away.

> /bin/sh: ../../../exports/bin/bdftopcf: No such file or directory
> /bin/sh: ../../../exports/bin/mkfontdir: No such file or directory

I thought I remember Alan making a patch awhile back that caused both a build
host and cross host version of these utilities to be built.  I don't think
those patches went into the 4.2.0 branch, if I recall correctly.  You did say
that you are building the 4.2.0 branch, right?  The problem is, no one really
sends any patches to the 4.2.0 branch after it is released.

Hopefully that muddies things up for you :)