Re: xfree problem

At 08:59 PM 7/1/2002 EDT, Harold L Hunt wrote:
>Chris, Pierre,
>
>> >I sent a patch to cygwin that should take care of the
>> >symptom.
>>
>> There is a new snapshot available which incorporates this patch.
>
>I got my machine back to a state where it produced the xterm error by I
>uninstalling and reinstalling XFree86-bin, XFree86-lib,
>XFree86-startup-scripts, and XFree86-xserv.  Then I stopped defining the
>CYGWIN=ntsec environment variable, then I removed the entry for `hunt' that
>was added to /etc/passwd by `mkpasswd -u hunt -d'.  Now I get the permission
>denied error again from xterm (only after all steps above were completed did
>the error return).
>
>Now I get dumped into /home/Administrator when I open Cygwin's bash prompt
(as
>opposed to /home/hunt).  A sample `ls -l' from /usr/X11R6/bin gives:

Being administrator in that situation is an old feature, AFAIK.
If there was NO passwd file, Cygwin would emulate one by assigning you
a uid, based on info from Windows info and things would be different
(depending on your environment variables).
There is a passwd file, and you are not in there. It uses the default,
which is administrators.

The setuid problem is new. Cygwin tries to setuid to administrators, but
Windows doesn't let it do it. The thinking was that programs that setuid/gid
are "big boys" and should have their passwd/grp file in order. Later this
evening there will be a better patch that will noop when the setuid/gid is to
the original uid/gid. The current patch allows unknown gids, it was written
before the issue was completely understood.

Pierre