X-Free doesnt work, shady workaround

Hello all, hope you're doing good.

XFree86 wouldnt load up on my Windows XP
machine. I installed practically all of cygwin
again because I didnt know what the problem was.
(no use of that though)

It keeps giving me the error that there was no
X server to service requests. The X background
appears with X clock on twm. But just one mouse click
destroys the window.

------- Error that I get -------------
waiting for X server to shut down xterm:  fatal IO error 113
(Connection aborted
) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
XIO:  fatal IO error 113 (Connection aborted) on X server ":0.0"
      after 58 requests (49 known processed) with 0 events
remaining.

-------- End of error -----------------

Shady workaround -

I left Xfree86 as it was. Then I downloaded pre-compiled
binaries from
http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/

into a separate folder. Running startx from this new
new folder somehow brings up X correctly.
But the startx in the Cygwin installation just does not
run.

But it seems from some recent posts that I'm not the
only one having trouble running X. I'd be very grateful
for a solution.

Thanks,
Siddhartha.