RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Server Test 61

--- Harold Hunt <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> I've posted the patch against the current CVS tree for changes up
> through
> Test 61 (and a few minutes afterwards), for those of you following the
> development of Cygwin/XFree86:
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/xwin-Test61.diff.bz2 (21 KiB)
                                                                    ^^^
Is this necessary?  I'll spare you my rant on this bastard of the ISO...

> Here's a couple questions:
>
> 1) Should I start posting CVS diff files with each test release?  If
> there are developers out there interested in this I can do it; if there
> aren't, I might as well not bother.

As I am revving up to assist Conrad in debugging and testing cygserver, so
this would be helpful!  A better solution would be to host a cygwin-xfree
branch of the main xfree cvs on sources.redhat.com (pending Chris'
approval of course).  This would be *extremely* helpful for those of us
who might be planning to do extensive updating on a regular basis.  Also,
this might allow for seamless patches against your changes.  Anyhow, this
is just a thought...

> 2) Are the change logs too wordy?...[SNIP]

They are just right ;-).  I always say you can never be too verbose with
documentation...

> 3) How do you like the first six hours I've had to work on
> Cygwin/XFree86
> without any homework to slow me down, for the first time in 18 months?
> :)

You're doing great, keep up the excellent work!  Hopefully, now you'll
have time to finish those gtk stuffs. ;-)

> Oh yeah, Test61 will need some series testing by users with hardware
> that
> does ``packed'' 24 bit color pixels (Windows will let you select 24 bit
> color rather than 32 bit color when such hardware is present).  I
> haven't
> got a single machine that can do packed 24 bit pixels so I haven't been
> able
> to test at 24 bit color.

Hmmm...  Unfortunately, the only card I have which does true 24bpp is my
Sun Creator 3D, which is of no use to you...

Cheers,
Nicholas