Continuing debug

OK, I tried dropping to the previous version of Cygwin's xfree.  Same
problem.

Next, I tried Florimon's advice.  I was slightly confused, so I may have
screwed things up:

(1) First, I assumed 'fputte' was some account name that was personal to
that setup.  So, I tried to see who I am
through....whoami.  It told me administrator, so I used that in the
suggested command, modified for Administrator,
i.e.

mkpasswd -d -u Administrator >> /etc/passwd

Cygwin informed me that it could not find that user.

(2) I tried running through startxwin.sh, same problem.

Wayne