New Xfree User Question

I have run into a problem when I started to learn / use Xfree on my
XP laptop.

When I launch via /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat at the Cygwin prompt,
I get the background window, but the terminal window, which on my
Win98 machine is my shell running bash, appears to be iconized in
the upper left corner, and when I click on it, it disappears.

I apologize for the awkward and no doubt technically incorrect way I
have explained this, but I was hoping someone would say, oh, I know
what that idiot is babbling about.

Wayne Keen