RE: Cut down xfree server for XDMCP only

Yes. The X install is relatively heavy. I was thinking that you can do
the following:
Setup your own setup.ini. In that include a package (say
XFree86-XDMCP-minimal) for your cut-down X install, minus all the cygwin
infrastructure. DON'T include anything with a name the same as cygwin's
setup.ini.
Include dependency listings that your package has on cygwin packages -
should any exist (i.e. various font packages may be useful). Anything
that your can't separate out usefully enough, include the content in
your package' tarball, OR ask Harold if he is able to split the package
out a little.

Then tell your users to run setup.exe, add your mirror site to the
mirrors list, and to select an official cygwin mirror as well.
That should be much smaller, and

> Perhaps we could check if cygwin is already installed, and refuse to
> install if it is. We could also have warnings saying not to
> install both
> at the same time. This would mean we could use the standard binary and
> libraries, just repackaged.

That would help. I suspect you'll still get folk installing cygwin on
top, but at least a one-way check helps a lot.

Cheers,
Rob