Re: KDE (or gnome)

Hello!

I am sorry to (maybe) destroy your enthusiasm but from my point of view there are some more reasons for not running either gnome or kde on cygwin:

The main thing is: they are very large packages and even on my linux box they are that slow, that I prefer just using icewm as window manager and only have kde and gnome installed in case some application needs the libraries. If I start to compare cygwin running under win98 I really can not advise you to run kde or gnome - maybe on NT kernel based machines that is different.

Cygwin is (and here the developers have made a real good job - Thanks!) a very good tool if you want to run applications like nedit (which is my favourite editor) and other basic unix routines I really miss under windows - but as any Operating system running on top of another one - it has it`s speed limitations.

Another great usage for cygwin is to use it for running xdm sessions or if you have to do admin work on a unix box over the network (it has ssh, sftp and all the other nice tools which windooze does not have). So for me (personal opinion) it is a great (and long expected) extension to that "operating systems" from Redmond which I am forced to use some times...

By the way: I would not even use kde or gnome with linux - but that is MY personal opinion about it. Please do not kill me for it!

So again: Thanks to all the developers!

Regards,

Uwe