-----Original Message-----
From: 	cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]  On Behalf Of Nicholas Wourms
Sent:	Friday, May 24, 2002 3:41 AM
To:	Harold Hunt; cygx
Subject:	RE: New package for testing: OpenDX

Harold,

It's just an "addon" global .profile script that runs after
/etc/profile.
The reasoning behind this is to allow package vendors to affect
environmental variables without having to actually patch the current
/etc/profile.  The syntax is, therefore, exactly the same as you'd
expect
from a .profile file.  All one does is make new files
/etc/profile.d/foo.sh (for bash and sh shells) and
/etc/profile.d/foo.csh
(for tcsh and csh shells) containing the environmentals one wnat to set.

Take, for example, gnome.sh on SuSE Linux:
#
#    /etc/profile.d/gnome.sh
#
# send feedback to feedback@suse.de

#
#  Expanding PATH
#
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin
#
#  While compiling GNOME programs, we also look into
#  /usr for libs, includes, etc.:
#
export GNOME_PATH=$GNOME_PATH:/opt/gnome:/usr

#
#  Setting GNOMEDIR
#
export GNOMEDIR=/opt/gnome

As you can see, all the necessary environmentals for gnome are
conviently
located in this file.  If the user uninstalls gnome the variables go
away.
 By allowing the modularity in configuration, one saves the headaches of
dealing with post(un)install setup of new packages.  Now, seeing as how
just wanted to see what OpenDX was, I'm not the expert on it.  So, I
don't
think I'm the best person to "ask" what environmentals need to be setup.

FWIW, I think it might be advisable to include a similar script with the
Xfree packages to make sure the user's environmentals are setup so that
they can use startx, etc...  I hope this helps :).

Cheers,
Nicholas
--- Harold Hunt <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> Believe it or not, I have no idea how to write a profile.d... in fact,
> I've
> never even heard of one until you just mentioned it.  Perhaps you
could
> write one to get me started?
>
> Harold

It