Re: Cygwin/XFree86 Unable to open X display after first success

Dennis Hui wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problem with X display after first
> successful launch of an X application.  (Prior to this
> I did xhost +) When I remote logged in to a remote
> host, I first exported the DISPLAY=<host-ip>:0.0 and
> started the X application (e.g. xclock, xeyes, or
> xterm). Then I quitted the application, and tried to
> run another X app., I got: ERROR: unable to open X
> display.  I have trouble running any subsequent X
> display.

XFree86 resets the server when the last X client quits. So probably your xhost
+ is lost due to the reset. You can prevent this reset by always running a
local xterm or run a window manager local that you don't quit.

Staf.

|Staf Verhaegen (staf.verhaegen@imec.be) |ADRESS: IMEC vzw. - ASP/LITHO|
|tel: 016/ 281 783                       |        Kapeldreef 75        |
|fax: 016/ 281 214                       |        3001 Leuven (Belgium)|
 For every tool there are at least 2 uses: the one it was designed for
                 and the other for which it wasn't.